This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

THE SCANDAL OF OUR NURSING HOMES



Yesterday's Waterloo Region Record carried this story: "New rules target homes for elder abuse". Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the story on line in order to provide a link. I did however find this story in the Record dated February 22, 2011 . It describes the new legislation passed by the provincial Liberals. Yesterday's story tells us that there are fifty retirement homes in Ontario with multiple outstanding complaints of a serious nature. The story also makes it clear that government oversight has been inadequate to the point of non existent at various times and places. Quoting yesterday's story "In 2010 the Toronto Star sent an undercover reporter to live for a week as a resident in a Toronto retirement home. The story exposed serious problems including filthy living conditions, terrible food, untrained and illegally paid staff and residents who were so sick they needed the medical attention of a government-funded nursing home." Like most other problems in our society, as long as someone is making money, our government would rather pretend that they are supervising and monitoring these problems rather than actually resolving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment