This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, October 26, 2012

REGIONAL POLICE CONSTABLE DEMOTED AFTER MARIJUANA USE



Oh boy oh boy! What exactly is going on here? If legitimately this officer indulged in marijuana use only and there were no on the job misbehaviours I can understand the decision to keep her on the force, albeit with a demotion. Adding to the recognition for mercy are two doctor's reports and further evidence suggesting that she was depressed and under serious stress. My concerns however are multiple. Will each and every other officer charged under the Police act for marijuana use be treated equally? Also why were other officers charged both under the Police Act as well as criminally for marijuana use? Is there some favouritism going on?

There is also a huge hypocrisy issue here. What kind of a law ie. marijuana possesion can be apparently broken on an ongoing basis by officers who while on duty charge people criminally for possessing it? Is it about time that the average citizen who is depressed and stressed out also be given a break?

Personally I don't know what kind of an officer this woman is and I recognize that the demotion is an extremely financially costly one. I just hope she gets her act together, does her job proud from here on and finally that any and all officers in the same or similar boat get treated equally. This story is in yesterday's Waterloo Region Record.

4 comments:

  1. I know this officer personally and YES she legitimately had an alcohol and substance abuse problem. The article states that she wasn't diagnosed with a specific depression disorder, when in fact she was diagnosed with three! She at no time said this was an excuse for her behaviour. And she didn't blame it on peer pressure like some of the other officers involved. She actually came forward to the police service only to be shut down. She could have walked away when the police service sent out some people to tell her to quit as it wasn't worth it. But I, her family and friends commend her for standing up and admitting to her faults! She has had a 2 year struggle to better herself and if any one knows her personally, will tell you she has fought an addiction and is still fighting. Don't always think the paper writes up true facts. I've known her for 17 years, and you may think I am biased, however when she was going through her personal battles we lost touch as I could not take her negative emotions towards the world. I regret not seeing the signs and I am glad she didn't take her life. She finally got the help she needed. She has her act together and its people like you as well as coworkers who doubt her story. Its sad. And I give her credit for taking a stand and coming forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for filling in some of the blanks in this story. It sounds as if she is well worth keeping on the force. I still have concerns such as are the police brass handling these personnel issues properly or not prior to charging officers. That to me seems like the hard nosed and possibly unecessary approach. Also I'm still concerned about favouritism which is why you folks have a union to prevent that kind of management behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i am not on the force but have seen her go through this entire process. The police brass doesn't do anything for people that are obviously struggling. I do know a few other coworkers made mention of her always crying or looked like she was crying after getting changed. As well one of her old friends called her a 'cry baby' once and said to stop bringing her issues to work. I'm in social work, so I do know, that someone with obvious signs of emotional issues that lasts more then a couple weeks (for her it was over 2 yrs), that you reach out to help them and not ignore it. As well, as for the police union, they claim to have a zero tolerance approach to 'drugs' and because Jennifer had to 'prove' her mental illness, she hasn't heard from the union since being suspended. I wish people there would stand up for the mistreatment of officers however I think everyone is to afraid. These are just my two cents and what i've seen over the past 2 years of her being off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't really sound as if anyone, management or union have a lot to be proud of in this case. The older I get the more I realize that all institutions, no matter how noble or laudable on the surface, are often run by petty individuals more interested in self than in the promotion of the ideals or mandate of the institution.

    ReplyDelete