This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

MORE CRITICISM OF LIGHT RAPID TRANSIT (LRT)



Last Saturday's Waterloo Region Record carried this opinion: "Why bus rapid transit, not light rail, is the answer" written by John Shortreed. Mr. Shortreed is a retired
transportation planner from the University of Waterloo. He gives us ten cogent reasons why bus rapid transit is superior to light rail transit.

Above and beyond those I also have had concerns with overly optimistic forecasting by the proponents of LRT. It's very much as if this whole project has developed a momentum of its' own and any negative research gets brushed aside while positive research, no matter how unlikely gets immediate acceptance. Again until or unless I see something different to justify this massive expenditure of funds, I am very much inclined to interpret the push for LRT as simply our regional politicians developing their legacy project. It's not so much about the money for them, it's more about their egos and status.

No comments:

Post a Comment