This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

$1.5M EXPANSION AT OLD POLICE STATION



O.K. I am confused about this. Last Friday's Waterloo Region Record carried this story "Police plan $1.5 M expansion of cellblock". This cellblock is located on Frederick St. and has been in existence for many decades. We the taxpayers have just finished the construction of the new courthouse on the corner of Weber and Frederick St. My understanding from Record stories, photos and articles over the last few years is that this brand new facility was in the hundreds of millions of dollars and was supposed to be all things to all people. This included multiple courtrooms, high tech security, judicial offices and cellblocks. This new facilty was also supposed to incorporate two couthouses currently in Kitchener, namely Provincial and Superior Court as well as one in Cambridge. Am I missing something here or did we forget cellblocks in the new building?

2 comments:

  1. I often read your perspectives with interest but you missed the ferry on this one. The new Court House is paid for/managed mostly by the Province (Attorney General). They refused to allow the police to use the jail cells despite repeated calls by the police for same. One article discussed the Police Chief making repeated attempts to lobby the McGuintys for joint use.They said No. It was widely reported in the Record and elsewhere.
    Lay the wreath of blame at the door of the Province.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I sure as heck did miss that story in the Record. So this raises the question as to who exactly will be incarcerated at the new courthouse. I mean is this now both a new regional courthouse and a new regional/provincial jail???

    ReplyDelete