This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

$ 18.6 MILLION FOR NEW POLICE BUILDING



Last Saturday's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "State-of-the-art police facility opens in Waterloo". In 2006 the estimate for this building was $8.3 million. It actually cost $ 18.6 million. Oh well I've said it before, nothing is too good for our boys in blue. With an annual operating budget of $140 million, really what's another $18 million or so . I mean seriously compared to our new Regional downtown Courthouse this was an absolute steal. As a friend of mine down in Cambridge is wont to say "Hang onto your wallets folks".

I enjoyed Councillor Tom Galloway's quote "It is a big price tag, but the building speaks for itself'. It certainly does because Lord knows no taxpayers were asked their opinions. Further as I've indicated here in the Advocate before, civilian oversight as in the Police Board is a joke. I wonder if they even spent five minutes years ago looking at this issue. New courthouses, new police buildings, a new police contract but our justice system is same old, same old. Meanwhile these same regional politicians are hell bent for leather to get us a world class LRT tranit system that we don't need and can't afford. Why with this lack of accountability would anyone be surprised by anything anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment