This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

OFFICER BORDA UNDER ATTACK



Today's Waterloo Region Record has published a Letter To The Editor from a Richard Russ, a retired police officer. Put bluntly, Mr. Russ clearly has no sympathy for Officer Borda and his predicaments involving marijuana. Mr. Russ seems to feel that Officer Borda's conduct has besmirched the reputation of the vast majority of dedicated police officers. Similar to a few policemen at the G20 summit in Toronto, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the barrel.

I find myself somewhat of two minds. Firstly I cannot abide police officers who use physical force unecessarily or abusively while being much less offended by marijuana use by an officer. If the marijuana use had been by a private citizen I'm sure I would see this as a non event. The problem with a police officer using marijuana is the clear hypocrisy involved. How could that officer enforce the law that he himself seems to feel is unwarranted? I have seen no evidence produced, similar to the Constable Robson case, that the marijuana was for some kind of pain or stress relief of the officer involved.

Unfortunately Mr. Russ has a point and that is that these repeated cases are hurting the Waterloo Regional Police Service's reputation. I don't know what the answer is.

2 comments:

  1. While it may be unfortunate (odd turn of phrase if you are truly without bias) that Mr.Russ has a point. He does have one. We don't pay the police to pick and choose which laws of the land they feel comfortable obeying and enforcing. Where would this thinking take us if each police officer decided for themselves instead of being bound by law, procedure, oversight bodies and supervisors? Could we have police who are against big government allowing protestors to destroy property? Perhaps an officer thinks a little impaired driving isn't so bad and turns a blind eye? What these officers did that is wrong is they took an oath to enforce OUR laws and instead they engaged in the very behaviour they swore to bring to justice? It isn't about whether pot is bad. The oath was broken. We cannot trust them and they must go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regretfully you are probably right. Two postings after the Officer Borda case I posted about a horrific case in Barrie involving assaults and a police officer. That one where there has been a conviction against the officer is a no brainer for me. If marijuana gets you turfed then surely an unprovoked assault on a citizen gets you jail time and fired.

    ReplyDelete