This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

FURTHER ON WATERLOO REGIONAL POLICE MISBEHAVIOUR & LAWSUIT



Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys a story titled "Man felt humiliated after police shared nude photos of him". This of course deals with the same issue as yesterday's posting here regarding former Officer Knox. I was a little skeptical as to the motivation behind the lawsuit and suggested that as the officer had both been convicted and fired from his job for his behaviour that the lawsuit was "piling on". Well I've reconsidered after today's story in the Record. One I believe that the victim involved has been seriously hurt by this incident and more should be done to help him whether it's a lawsuit or something else. Secondly I must admit that I am moved by the comments of Police Chief Matt Torrigan. The victim's lawyer, Davin Charney, suggests that this incident as well as other recent ones point to a "...troubling police culture that goes beyond one bad apple.". I believe that Mr. Charney has hit the nail on the head and while Chief Torrigan is strongly denying any systemic problem, nevertheless he and others are saying the words "systemic problem". Perhaps this lawsuit is needed as the final impetus towards reform of our current police culture. I'm referring to issues such as the blue wall as well as macho issues whereby officers don't ever admit to psychological problems including stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment