This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, July 29, 2013

JAIL OVERCROWDING IN ONTARIO



Today's Waterloo Region Record has this story "Ontario jail overcrowding at 6-year high". More than half of Ontario jails are holding more prisoners than they were designed for. Issues include health and safety in case of emergencies such as fires as well as spread of communicable diseases whether flus or much worse. Also putting three prisoners in cells designed for two with the third inmate sleeping on a mattress on the floor is beyond ridiculous. Some inmates are even beginning to sue the province for the overcrowded conditions. Violence in the cells is also more likely as tempers fray in the overcrowded conditions. One point which really grabbed my attention is this: 2/3rds of prisoners have not been convicted of a criminal offense. They are there on remand which means they are awaiting either a bail hearing or their trial dates. This is asinine. Is it any wonder offenders or even those simply accused have such little respect for the system around them? So much for innocent until proven guilty. This is unreasonable punishment for everyone including those who are not guilty of an offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment