This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

FALLING MATH GRADES AND NEWER TEACHING METHODS



Last Saturday's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "Current teaching methods may be behind falling math grades". When I first read the story I too was shocked by the example at the end of the story as to how two children calculated two different ways to get the same, correct answer. The principle of Stewart Avenue Public School stated "When I think back to how I was taught math, there's just no comparison". I'm in the same position as the Principal. In fact I set the numbers down on paper and did it the same way I've always done addition as I was taught in public school. Then I reread the example and the thinking process both children used. Holy Cow but if that isn't also the way I do math in my head. I can add it up properly on paper as taught but I can also use the little tricks these two children did in order to add numbers without pen and paper. Hmm! Is one method absolutely superior to the other or does the problem with math scores originate elsewhere? Could one go so far as to suggest that teaching methods are merely a red herring?

I downloaded an on-line story last week titled "Teacher pay should be tied to performance, ability: study". The report was written by Sachin Maharaj, a high school teacher in Toronto. It was published on the Canadian Council of Chief Executives website. It has some astoundingly blunt assessments of the current system such as " (teacher) excellence goes unrewarded, mediocrity goes unaddressed.". Further "The challenge for education policy is that the quality of teaching in our schools varies considerably". The Fraser Institute also weighed in with "The best performing 15 to 25 per cent of teachers are able to impart a year and a half's worth of material to students in one academic year, while the bottom 15 to 25 per cent are only able to impart half a year of material to similar students". Comment is also made that the teachers' unions have an unflinching affinity for the status quo which among other things rewards teachers by seniority and credentials. Last but not least is my own personal experience. I have seen with my own eyes absolutely top notch teachers being used to pick up the slack from weaker brothers or sisters who taught (poorly) the same kids from the year before. In this case the excellent teachers are being used to impart half of the previous year's curriculum via catchup as well as the whole current year's curriculum. Principals, teachers, school boards, unions and governments all know this. Most shrug their shoulders and look the other way. School Boards and Teachers' Unions especially are happy with the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment