This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

THREE REGIONAL POLICE OFFICERS FIRED FOR MISCONDUCT



This article is in today's Waterloo Region Record and is titled "Trio of officers broke "sacred trust"". These officers misconduct has been publicized repeatedly in the Record and and while thoughtless, immature and more nevertheless I expect there are police forces throughout the continent who only wish that the worst behaviour of their own members did not surpass that of these three officers. Corruption, graft, payoffs, bribery and physical violence have all been documented police behaviour elsewhere over the decades. None of it is acceptable and indeed criminal charges and convictions have flowed as a result.

All that being said I posted here back on February 10/14 about a Community Editorial Board member who wrote a very eloquent article suggesting that after apologies and regional police discipline that none of these three officers were beyond redemption. She felt that as serious as their conduct was, it was not beyond forgiveness. She felt that all three could still contribute as police officers despite their personal failures. I agreed with her then and yes I also agree with today's statement "...that the officers had severely tainted the reputation of the service by their behaviour and lost the trust of the community.". Trust can be regained however under the right circumstances. I also have to wonder how much worse behaviour has occurred by regional police officers that while caught, was not public knowledge. Is there an element here of hypocrisy by senior management? Are there any elements of favourtism involved? Have other more popular and sociable officers behaved equally badly and only gotten a slap on the wrist? These three officers have appropriately been publicly chastised, disparaged and looked down upon. Is firing them for their good, the public's good or for the public relations benefit to senior management? This is a tough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment