This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

PROFIT, POWER, AUTHORITY LEAD TO ABUSE



Monday's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "Many nursing home residents on powerful mix of drugs: report states". I found this story shocking. Apparently staff shortages in nursing homes are compensated by drugging vulnerable seniors with antipsychotics and sedatives. These drugs are inappropriately used to calm and restrain wandering, agitated residents. There are sideffects however including greatly increased risks of early death. Falls can also occur with these so called "off-label" uses. As I have been aware of for some time there is not adequate oversight and accountability in nursing homes. Once again for profit businesses seem to have little difficulty in finding shortcuts, with or without government supervision, which lead to innocent people sufferring. One judges a society by their treatment of their most vulnerable. Canada has little to be proud of on that score.

No comments:

Post a Comment