This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, May 9, 2014

NURSING HOMES ADDICTED TO DRUGS



Yesterday's Waterloo Region Record carried this story "Nursing home gets $50,000 to cut back on drugs". A report from the provincial health ministry last month found 45% of all nursing home residents age 65 to 79 were on anti-psychotic drugs. Nearly 1/3 of residents were on sedatives and 11% of all seniors in nursing homes were on both. It turns out that many residents were taking the drugs off label ie. for non prescribed uses. There is a litany of serious health side effects and the purpose of giving unprescribed drugs to seniors had more to do with controlling behaviours by drugging patients when there were staff shortages. I first posted here about this practice on April 23/14.

No comments:

Post a Comment