This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

REAL DEMOCRACY THWARTED - PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION REQUIRED



Yesterday's Waterloo Region Record carrys this opinion piece by Byron Weber-Becker "Election results underscore the need for proportional representation". "On the provincial level, 38.6 per cent of voters voted Liberal, but the party received 54 per cent of the seats and therefore 100 per cent of the power.". Apparently this situation is sometimes referred to as a "false majority". I had not heard that term before but boy do I like it. The Greens received 5% of the votes cast and exactly 0% of the seats in the house. The only winner (and least deserving) were the Liberals. While I don't know all the specifics around proportional representation it certainly sounds as if it's an idea whose time has come. Why do the bulk of citizens (62%) literally get zero say in the affairs of the province? This isn't even close to a democracy and the sooner this system is replaced the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment