This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

POLITICS IS SUCH A DIRTY BUSINESS



Today's front page story in the Waterloo Region Record concerns the Mayor of Woolwich Township which includes Elmira, Breslau, Conestogo etc.. There is a $2,700 discrepancy in his expense claims apparently as a result of overlaps in expense claims going to both the Townships (he's the mayor) and the Region of Waterloo (he's a regional councillor). I do not have the details and feel it would not be appropriate to offer an opinion regarding his statement that it was an error that he has rectified. In other words the money has been paid back and in fact I have been advised that at last night's Woolwich Council meeting he also voted along with Council in favour of asking the Waterloo Regional Police to investigate.

Here is the rub for me. Apparently a citizen requested Cowan's expense records under Freedom of Information legislation. This was done in July three months before the municipal elections scheduled for October 27/14. Am I and the public to believe that this was just a routine request of the expense records of one of the five members of Council? Alternatively did someone on the inside, whether staff or councillor, have an idea that there was an error or discrepancy and then focused an FOI request on Mayor Cowan? If one believes in coincidences in politics then Mayor Cowan is the unluckiest son of a gun there is, timing wise. Allegations of possible impropriety one month before an election are terrible. I am extremely doubtful of two things. Firstly that there will be any unequivocal resolution of the matter prior to the election. Secondly even if there is an unequivocal resolution of no wrongdoing I am doubtful that the media will write it up clearly and unequivocally as such. Both our local papers, especially the Woolwich Observer, are not fans of the Mayor. I do not need to go into the details other than to say they were disappointed in him over various issues this last three and half years.

Anyone who reads either this Blog or the Elmira Advocate know that I am a skeptic especially regarding politicians and government. That said as of this point in time I offer no opinion or insights regarding Mayor Cowan making an honest error versus intentionally trying to scam expense money. Mayor Cowan is not my favourite person in the world and for sufficient reason. Regardless I find the timing of this discrepancy incredibly self serving to a few individuals. I find the focused FOI request odd. I find the alleged enjoyment of the situation by one councillor very odd. For me things aren't adding up and I would like more accurate information sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment