This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, January 9, 2017

WATERLOO REGIONAL POLICE SERVICES BOARD



I've commented in the past regarding my holding this group in low esteem. From what I've seen over the years they are primarily a good old boys' club whose main purpose is not to rock the boat. Allegedly they oversee the Police Services's budget but do not get involved in operations. This seems somewhat strange to me. While second guessing day to day operations would certainly seem on the surface to be ridiculous, nevertheless I have to ask why they don't at least have input into the issues of the day. These issues would include things like a focus on speeding versus distracted driving, carding, profiling and even police response to middle of the night "anonymous" alleged emergencies phoned in via 911 or otherwise. Other civilian type input could include how police deal with the homeless, non-violent protests etc..

We are advised in the Waterloo Region Record's article titled "Region seeking citizen for police board vacancy" that this position is a coveted one. Interesting. My understanding had been that other than a per diem or per meeting honorarium this position barely pays travel expenses. Perhaps I've misunderstood. In the past I've looked at the names of members and essentially viewed this board as a retirement home for over the hill politicians. Jim Wideman would be a good example. Also former mayor Sue Foxton who recently got into a little spat with a senior police officer who complained that she called him a name. Yep that's right. That's how weighty and intellectual things get at this board. Possibly retirement home for retired (by choice or otherwise) politicians is a little strong. Rubber stamp might be a little more accurate.

Regardless I'm thinking of applying for this two year term. Of course merit is essentially irrelevant and more about who you know than what you know. Goes back to the good old boys club I mentioned earlier. It's far more important to the powers to be that they have someone they can work with (read deaf, blind & dumb preferably) than someone who takes the position seriously. Afterall after decades of keeping all police scandals and irregularities on the downlow the last several years seem to be almost constantly all about officers charged with either Police Act infractions or with criminal charges. This of course hurts morale, public relations and the ability to keep the cash cow flowing year in and year out.

Therefore while my chances to be appointed by Regional Council are slim to nil for a number of reasons including my taking a run at one of their sitting members recently (Sandy Shantz); who knows, maybe they need a token unconnected citizen, unpolluted by previous political office, to add credibility to this Regional Board. This should be fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment