This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

WATERLOO REGION POLICE CHIEF BRYAN LARKIN




Well! Peter Shawn Taylor in last Thursday's (Feb. 16/17) Waterloo Region Record really wrote a stunningly complimentary tribute to our current police chief. The title was "Lucky or good? Police Chief Bryan Larkin is both". I'm not going to disagree a whole lot with Mr. Taylor's comments and opinion in the matter. He backs them up pretty well with various anecdotes and facts. Clearly Chief Larkin has a much easier population (smaller) to police then say Toronto or Montreal. Also as per Mr. Taylor a more homogenous population with fewer very large populations of either aboriginals or Caribbean immigrant populations may make things significantly easier. Hmm. Is there just a tad of racism in that opinion of Mr. Taylor's? Mr. Taylor suggests that those two groups tend to find themselves "at odds with police in other Canadian cities.". I wonder if skin colour and socio-economic status may be as much factors with how police interact with these groups as the other way around?

Regardless Mr. Taylor also points out Chief Larkin's pro-active stance regarding the somewhat amazing 27% "unfounded" rate for sexual assault complaints in the Region. That is indeed to Chief Larkin's credit if he does take real action on the matter. Overall this article is such that I am rethinking various criticisms I've had both past and present. Could it be possible that our local regional councillors actually hired a progressive, up to date individual to run our regional police force? Time as usual will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment